I had a wonderful birthday for the most part and I am glad you are here to read about my special day.
I spent the first half of the day getting my relaxation on. I spent wayyyy too much time on the computer and in the kitchen! But hey, it was my birthday!
A vegan cheesecake
Mocha cheesecake to be exact!
& The best cupcakes ever!
Recipe for The Best Cupcakes and Chocolate Frosting Ever:
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup safflower
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup soy milk powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare muffin tin with 6-8 liners.
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a medium bowl, and set aside for 5 minutes or until it starts to bubble. Add the agave, oil, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix until no lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 18-22 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 10 minutes then cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, use a mixer to cream the butter and agave until very smooth. Add the vanilla and half of the cocoa powder, mix on low-speed while adding the remaining cocoa powder. Add the soy milk powder and beat at high-speed until fluffy.
- Store frosting in fridge until ready to serve, this hardens it up a bit.
I should rename these cupcakes, “Whitney’s Birthday Tradition” because that is exactly what they are!