Because I went blueberry picking yesterday, I thought it would be completely necessary to do my first ever Feature Friday on BLUEBS!
Afterall, blueberries are one of my all-time favorites. I like the hard sour bluebs personally! We saw a lot of those on our blueberry picking aventure yesterday. I ended up picking 1.4 pounds of bluebs, and that’s not even accounting the ones I ate!
You would eat that many too if your were in this field!
The Good News:
- Blueberries are ranked as one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings. (1)
- Some studies show that blueberries have been proved to improve memory. (2)
- Like most fruit, raw blueberries are considered low on the glycemic index.
- One serving of blueberries contains over 30% of your daily value of vitamin C.
- Blueberries are great for the nervous and cardiovascular system.
The Bad News:
- Be aware when not chosing organic. Like most fruit, blueberries are heavily sprayed with pesticides.
What to do with blueberries:
- Stir them into your oatmeal for a sweet breakfast
- Use them in your favorite pancake recipe for something different and colorful…
- Toss them into a salad
- Bake me a pie… (no really, I love pie…) 😉
- Make these awesome blueberry bars for dessert!
Wait, did someone say pie?
Blueberry Pie Boatmeal Cake
(inspired by the chocolate covered queen 😉 )
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 small mashed very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon oil (I used safflower)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- dash of salt
Preheat oven to 380 degrees. In a blow, combine dry ingredients and then add in the wet. Pour in one ramekin. After 18 minutes of baking, turn the oven on broil for about 3 minutes, not longer than 5. When you pull out your super cute blueberry pie, add whatever toppings you want. Personally, I am on a blueberry + coconut kick, but that’s just me.
Have you ever gone blueberry picking?